October is less than a month away, which means Northern Weldarc’s 50th anniversary is coming up fast! As we prepare to celebrate Northern Alberta’s best structural steel production company, we’ve put together some more fun facts (see this former blog post) about our team and family-run business, the progressive work we’ve done, and the steel industry we’ve spent years working in.
1. Our founder, Allen Holtz, liked to play practical jokes. It didn’t take long for the boys to check the shop bathroom taps before turning on the water!
2. At one point during the building’s construction process, the roof was still not complete and there was no heating. Allen and the staff stayed faithful and continued to work on client jobs, even after it started snowing!
3. We built the Telus Stage that is used for musical line ups during K-Days.
4. We built the Heritage Amphitheatre at William Hawrelak Park.
5. In the late 1980’s, we fabricated steel that was taken by barge to Resolute Bay, Northwest Territories. The steel was needed for a building that scientists would be staying in while they studied ice flow.
6. During that time, the steel that was taken by barge to Resolute Bay was installed by our staff. Due to how cold it was, the boys worked approximately 30 minutes outside and then went inside to warm up. One worked while the other was on “polar bear watch.”
7. Allen Holtz retired from NWL in 1999.
8. Gayle, the now President and daughter of Allen, has spent most of her life working at NWL starting at about 10 years of age, working weekends and after school to help out.
9. Shirley, Allen’s wife, and Gayle were part of a bank’s business advertisement for being a successful business in the community.
10. Shirley and Gayle’s picture for the bank’s advertisement went as far as Japan!
And the most important fact of all? We here at Northern Weldarc are proud to excel in our industry, and we would love to work with you on your project. For high-quality workmanship and on-time delivery, make it Northern Weldarc. Get in touch today.